Date:      Wed, 16 Oct 1996 14:22:24 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        brian@mediacity.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NFS stale handle on 2.1.5

>If server reboots, I end up with the following
>message on client:
>
>mount: /usx: Stale NFS file handle

   The ESTALE error is returned by the server whenever the mountpoint
filehandle is no longer valid. This can happen for a number of reason:

1) The filesystem mount hierarchy changed on the server.
2) The filesystem was dismounted and re-mounted again on the server.
3) The filesystem type wasn't the same as was originally mounted.
4) Perhaps other reasons I've forgotten.

>How does one get the NFS subsystem to recover correctly
>when the server reboots?

   I think the only remedy may be to do a forced dismount (umount -f). If this
doesn't work then that's a bug and should be fixed.

-DG

David Greenman