Date:      Tue, 29 Oct 1996 21:32:32 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        "Mark W. Dufault" <mdufault@tiac.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ATAPI CDROM

On Tue, 29 Oct 1996, Mark W. Dufault wrote:

>  I just bought 2.1.5 on CD-ROM and I can't find the atapi.flp that is
>  supposed to be in the floppies\ directory. I have a Toshiba XM-5502TA.
> How do I load the OS when the boot kernel doesn't recognize the CD-ROM?

2.1.5 doesn't come with an ATAPI.flp.  If your cdrom isn't detected, try
moving it to the slave position on the primary controller.  I'm guessing
this is a laptop so that may not be easy or possible.

Make sure the secondary IDE controller is configured properly; the cd may
be connected to it and not the primary IDE channel.

> The main problem I am having is I'm new to this FreeBSD and the
> documentation has many things in it that are not true. Most of the stuff in
> the book about ATAPI is just not on the CD.

It's probably for 2.1.0, the last release.

> Is there a document with the real instuctions on how to get the kernel to
> recognize an ATAPI CDROM?

Once you get installed (and if boot.flp won't find it then a recompiled
kernel won't either), look in the LINT kernel configuration file in
/usr/src/sys/i386/conf and search for the ATAPI option section.  There are
a couple of lines to add to your kernel config.