Date:      Tue, 02 May 2000 10:43:06 -0400
From:      John Papalia <john@jpepconsulting.com>
To:        "Jeremiah Gowdy" <jgowdy@home.com>, "Sean Kelly" <smkelly@slashnet.org>
Cc:        "Ron Rosson" <insane@lunatic.oneinsane.net>, <advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and IRC

> > Just thinking aloud here, but when the #FreeBSD channel was made, the
>founders
> > should have known that people who needed help would randomly try to join a
> > #freebsd channel and ask for help.  Wouldn't a more logical naming scheme
>would
> > be to have the help channel be #FreeBSD and the convo channel be
>#FreeBSD-Talk?
> >
> > You have to understand that it's not the users' fault that the names are
>so
> > undescriptive and generic.  If it really bothers you that much, make some
>sort
> > of bot that sends a notice to people when they join that warns them that
>they
> > will be banned and refers them to #FreeBSDHelp.
>
>Ignorance kills.  They don't accept stupid questions in #linux, or #eggdrop
>either.  They all have associated help channels.  Get a clue.  IRC is not
>for the weak.  If you can't take an occational kick/ban go back to AOL or
>DalNet

What's with the "get a clue" campaign?  The FAQ on freebsd.org says that
#freebsd is NOT a tech support channel, however it makes NO mention that
there is a channel called #freebsdhelp.  Also, every visit of mine to
#FreeBSD yields people who simply don't even want to say hello, let along
direct you to the right place.  Top that off with a channel topic that, as
I've seen every time to date, also makes no mention of #freebsdhelp.

So, don't you think it would be more HELPFUL to provide the information,
instead of just demanding clue-acquistion?  You'd be amazed at how many
people stop bugging you with questions you don't want to hear then.

Just my two cents.
--john