Date:      Fri, 17 May 1996 01:54:40 +0100
From:      mark@linus.demon.co.uk (Mark Valentine)
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        mark@cova-tech.com
Subject:   can't mount "gold" CDs written by Yamaha recorder

Anyone able to read gold CDs written by the Yamaha recorder under any
version of FreeBSD?  I'm not sure if it may just be CDs written by the
particular software I'm using ("KPAR CDcreation" under SunOS 5.5) - it's
all I have available to try.  (I get the same problem with the software
vendor's distribution CD, but I think that was written with their own
software on another Yamaha recorder.)

I can read these CDs on all my SunOS 5.5 systems (Toshiba and Plextor
drives), and from DOS and Windoze 95 (random IDE drives), but under
FreeBSD I get either an EINVAL on the mount (my -current box with a
Toshiba SCSI drive, which can also read the CD under DOS, though it
flashes its LED as if it were playing back an audio CD), or a
successful mount followed by a system hang trying to do anything
else, like an unmount - actually, some interrupts are still being
processed (FreeBSD 2.1, both with random SCSI drive or with the
same Plextor which read the CD fine under SunOS 5.5).

Interestingly, Linux 1.2.13 (random IDE drive) also complains (a lot)
about an unrecognised format, and fails the mount.

I've tried this both with a mode 1 and mode 2 burn (ISO9660 file system
with Rock Ridge extensions).

By the way, are all the 00_TRANS.TBL files on the FreeBSD CDs just a
convenience for systems which can't read RR?  My software didn't put
them on my CD, and doesn't seem have an option to do so (I presume they're
generated separately).

Any evidence for punting my recorder software/hardware back to the vendor
and buying an HP4020i like I wanted in the first place will be gratefully
received too!

		Cheers,

		Mark.

--