Date:      Wed, 15 Oct 2008 06:53:41 -0700
From:      Jeremy Chadwick <koitsu@FreeBSD.org>
To:        MeX <mex@active.sk>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RAID 5 - serious problem

On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 03:27:26PM +0200, MeX wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Str, Október 15, 2008 15:15, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> > Are you using the Matrix Storage Technology?  If so, immediately stop.
> > FreeBSD's support for this is very, very bad, and will nearly guarantee
> > data loss.  There are many of us who have tried it, and it's known to
> > be buggy on FreeBSD.
> >
> > http://wiki.freebsd.org/JeremyChadwick/ATA_issues_and_troubleshooting
> >
> > I recommend you stop using this feature and start using ZFS or gvinum
> > for what you need.
>
> do you think that ZFS code in FreeBSD 7.0-R (7.1-R) is enough stable for
> using it in production environment for RAID-1 even also for RAID-5?

What you're asking is completely unrelated to the topic of this thread.

The OP should consider his alternatives to Intel MatrixRAID -- it really
doesn't matter what the alternatives are, because they're going to be
better than the situation/scenario he's in right now.  Heck, in this
situation, he'd be better off not using MatrixRAID at all, and instead
having one filesystem per disk!  Losing one filesystem would be better
than losing *all* of them.

If you want RAID-1, you have the choice of ccd, gmirror, or ZFS.  If you
want RAID-5, you have the choice of gvinum or ZFS.  None of them are
perfect, but they're all decent.

There are still ZFS stability issues which need to be hammered out, but
most of those have been addressed in CURRENT.  I'm familiar enough with
ZFS tuning at this point that I would trust using it on RELENG_7 (sans
root filesystem on ZFS -- I don't want to deal with the hassles
involved).

> About 5 years ago I tried vinum for RAID1 if I remember clearly, but I
> never tried gvinum. It's production ready piece of cake?

I have no personal experience with gmirror or gvinum.  I experimented
with vinum on FreeBSD 3.x, and I was thoroughly disappointed.  When
reading that comment, take into consideration that vinum != gvinum, and
that was in the FreeBSD 3.x days.

Those who have used gmirror have reported immense success with it.