Date:      Mon, 18 Sep 2000 17:18:03 +0100
From:      Daniel Bye <Daniel.Bye@uk.uu.net>
To:        'Jon Nathan' <jon@blading.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: compaq smartarray raid controllers?

On 18 Sep 200, Jon wrote:

> does anyone know if compaq smartarray raid controllers work under
> freebsd (4.1 i guess)?  i thought they were based on the mylex dac960
> chip but i can't find info on compaq's site.

I am using 4.1 on a Compaq Proliant 1850 R with SmartArray Controller,
version 2.21, rev 4.16 with no problems whatever.  It was detected by the
installer, and installed cleanly with no need to specify any special
parameters.  You will need to build the array first, using SmartStart, but
you already know that!

This is from dmesg:

ida0: <Compaq Smart Array 221 controller> port 0x3000-0x30ff mem
0xb8000000-0xb
fffffff,0xc6ffff00-0xc6ffffff irq 15 at device 0.0 on pci1
ida0: drives=1 firm_rev=4.16
idad0: <Compaq Logical Drive> on ida0
idad0: 34727MB (71122560 sectors), blocksize=512

HTH,

Dan