Date:      Sat, 3 Jun 2000 19:10:56 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Gerald Pfeifer <pfeifer@dbai.tuwien.ac.at>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        "Andrey A. Chernov" <ache@freebsd.org>, Peter Wemm <peter@freebsd.org>, Wei Dai <weidai@eskimo.com>
Subject:   -STABLE (was: ncurses.h and #define trace _nc_trace)

On Fri, 26 May 2000, Andrey A. Chernov wrote:
> Yes, #define was a quick solution.
> We need either to add a stub or to import ncurses author fix (removing
> all trace function from production library).
>
> Latest is better IMHO, but I left to choose best way to Peter.

However you do it, please fix this ASAP, and be it by reverting the
original, broken patch!

This causes clear breakage in -STABLE and lots of wasted time for users
of the Wine port and myself (answering support requests), for example.

In fact, I believe that installing that patch was a clear violation of
the guidelines as described in the manual:

  18.2.2.1. What is FreeBSD-STABLE?

  FreeBSD-STABLE is our development branch for a more low-key and
  conservative set of changes intended for our next mainstream release.
  Changes of an experimental or untested nature do not go into this branch
  (see FreeBSD-CURRENT).

  [...]

  We also do our best to thoroughly test fixes in current before bringing
  them into stable, but sometimes our tests fail to catch every case. If
  something breaks for you in stable, please let us know immediately! (see
  next section).

I reported that over a week ago, but the problem still exists.

Indeed, I find it interesting, to say the least, that the MFC even
happened before the patch went into -CURRENT!

  1.1.1.3 (vendor branch) Wed May 24 10:44:45 2000 UTC by peter
  CVS Tags: v5_0_19991023, HEAD; Branch: NCURSES

  Bring in the fix for the trace/_nc_trace issue, without breaking the
  vendor branching.  The author has fixed this also so we can do this
  safely.

  1.1.1.2.2.1 Tue May 23 13:42:17 2000 UTC by ache
  Branch: RELENG_4
  MFC: trace -> _nc_trace

Gerald