Date:      Wed, 29 Jan 2003 23:45:39 +0000
From:      Ceri Davies <ceri@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Peter Kieser <pfak@telus.net>
Cc:        "Gary W. Swearingen" <swear@attbi.com>, advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [bsd-advocacy] Re: Draft: Proposed FreeBSD PubRel project	Charter

On Wed, Jan 29, 2003 at 03:23:00PM -0800, Peter Kieser wrote:
> I guess we can probably take this as some kind of flamer. No, we really
> don't care about the costs of transmission or storage. I myself have an
> unmetered T1, so it doesn't really matter what I use, when I use it.
> Also storage isn't a big deal, what is 1284 lines of text amount to? 2KB
> max for a file.

Peter,

There really is no need to quote 2K of irrelevant quoted text when replying
to a message.  This is pretty basic conduct on mailing lists.
Your signature even carries a "campaign against HTML email" - that is far
less annoying than top-posters who can't be bothered to snip irrelevant text
because "we really don't care about the costs of transmission or storage".

Yes, we do.

Just because you may have a T1, the mail you're sending goes to every
subscriber, and even assuming that they all have a T1 (which they do not),
the bandwidth that hub.FreeBSD.org uses to send the mail out to them is
donated, which should be enough reason not to waste it.

> If you dont like how we conduct ourselves on this list, then please
> unsubscribe, and save us the hassle of writing an email to you as a
> flamer, and explaining that we "just do it" this way.

Gary is not someone who generates flames.
Also, we do not "just do it"; I was close to commenting on this myself.

> Other then that, this was just about as productive as the 22 lines of
> original text that are in some of the mailing messages. Get used to it.

You should prepare yourself to "get used" to people trying to correct such
poor quoting behaviour.

Take this as a request to everyone on this list: please cut out quoted text
if it's not necessary for your reply.  In addition, Stacy really should sort
out the line-wrap issues.

Ceri

--
My forefathers's rune!