Date:      Tue, 27 Aug 2002 18:50:59 +0100
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Marc Fonvieille <blackend@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: [HEAD UP] Support for manpath in the links to manual pages

--1UWUbFP1cBYEclgG

On Tue, Aug 27, 2002 at 04:43:38PM +0200, Marc Fonvieille wrote:
>=20
> <!ENTITY man.xdm.1 "<citerefentry vendor=3D'ports'/<refentrytitle/xdm/<ma=
nvolnum/1//">
>=20
> in man-refs.ent for a FreeBSD ports manual page.
> I will change soon man-refs.ent to point on the correct manual pages.
> Note that in the docs the entities remain similar to &man.xdm.1;

I'm not sure they should.  Apart from anything else, we'll probably get
to a situation at some point where we have a binary in FreeBSD, and a
binary that's installed from the ports tree that has the same name.  Or
binaries from different BSD's that we want to be able to distinguish
between.

[ Also, we might want to refer to different versions of the same FreeBSD
  man page -- for example, fsck(8) for 4.x vs fsck(8) for 5.x. . . . ]

Without giving it a huge amount of thought, I suspect that something
like

    &man.xfree86.xdm.1;
    &man.netbsd.ls.1;

is going to make more sense in the long run.  We might want to include
version numbers in that as well.  The entity might then expand to
something like

    <citerefentry vendor=3D"xfree86">
      <refentrytitle>xdm</refentrytitle>
      <manvolnum>1</manvolnum>
    <citerefentry> (XFree86)

so that the generated HTML is going to look something like

to make it clear to the reader that this is not in the base system.

--=20
FreeBSD: The Power to Serve      http://www.freebsd.org/               (__)
FreeBSD Documentation Project    http://www.freebsd.org/docproj/    \\\'',)
                                                                      \/  \=
 ^
   --- 15B8 3FFC DDB4 34B0 AA5F  94B7 93A8 0764 2C37 E375 ---         .\._/=
_)

--1UWUbFP1cBYEclgG

--1UWUbFP1cBYEclgG--