Date:      Fri, 29 Sep 2006 21:23:00 +0200
From:      Marcin Jessa <lists@yazzy.org>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Cc:        ovidiu ene <ovidiue@unixware.ro>
Subject:   Re: MPD pppoe access concentrator name and service name

On Friday 29 September 2006 18:36, ovidiu ene wrote:
> I've been trying for a while to setup a mpd pppoe server to have a
> access concentrator name and a service name and is not working.
> I understand that access concentrator name is given by hostname, but
> what about service name?

You can give the native PPPoE a try.
man(8) pppoed explains how to do it. Take a look at this example:
pppoed_flags="-d -P /var/run/pppoed.pid -a "yazzy.org" -l "default" "

> I've used pppoe server for a year now and at service name i have *
> wildcard. If i use set pppoe service "test" instead of "*" after i start
> mpd, from a windows client i cannot see the service. Any ideea howto fix
> that? I've googled for a while without success.

AFAIR you can tell windows what service name to chose. There is also a free
pppoe client - http://www.raspppoe.com/ which you can use to "browse" your
network for pppoe broadcast packets.