Date:      Sat, 22 Feb 1997 14:45:53 +0100
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        gilbertd@cs.man.ac.uk (David Alan Gilbert)
Cc:        scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SCSI error

As David Alan Gilbert wrote:

> On a separate note we gave up using the fdisk and disklabel commands and
> used the nice programs on the installation disc.  We kept getting
>
> write: read only file system
>
> and never figured out how to get rid of it.

Do you have old junk in your fdisk table?  The slice code can
sometimes return EROFS if it means to protect you from clobbering
non-FreeBSD slices.

> The fdisk and disklabel programs are individually arcane; when used together
> they are just stupid. Is the partitioning utility from the installation
> disc available for use on a running system?

/stand/sysinstall

However, it's been reported to not always do a good job when using it
standalone.

Btw., fdisk is only needed for disks that are about to be shared with
other systems (or if you need more than 7 partitions).  You can safely
skip this step, and infact, i never use it myself.

If your disk contains old junk at the beginning, you can wipe it first
with something like

	dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/rsdX count=100

(The 100 is overkill.)  For a plain BSD disk, i prefer:

	disklabel -Brw sdX auto
	disklabel -e sdX

That's about all there is to be for a BSD-only disk.  You might think
of it being arcane, but i wouldn't bother to fire off sysinstall for
these three command lines. :-)  (Sure, i have to calculate some
partition offsets manually, but since i usually use multiples of
100000 blocks, that's no big deal.)

--
cheers, J"org