Date:      Thu, 29 Dec 2011 13:03:01 -0600
From:      Adam Vande More <amvandemore@gmail.com>
To:        Walter Alejandro Iglesias <roquesor@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Same version on binary packages and updated ports

On Thu, Dec 29, 2011 at 12:53 PM, Walter Alejandro Iglesias <
roquesor@gmail.com> wrote:

> So, unless I am missing some portupgrade option-feature, once
> the port tree is updated I must compile all from source.  The
> opposite leads to dependencies issues.

portmaster -P

Yes, this will likely result in a significant amount of compiling depending
time from RELEASE and your chosen packages and whatever PACKAGESITE is set
to eg stable.  That is the price you pay for updated software on FreeBSD.

Also be sure to read /usr/ports/UPDATING

There are man pages and a handbook page which explain all this in detail.

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/ports-using.html

--
Adam Vande More