Date:      Tue, 20 Jan 1998 23:20:01 -0800 (PST)
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        alchemy@inconnect.com
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Modula-3 remnants

 * Anyone remember (before cvsup-bin) the evil days of making cvsup?  If not,
 * here's a quick reminder:  in order to build cvsup, you need (oh Lord, do I
 * dread muttering this slag, but I must) Modula-3 first. <shudder>

That's a very nice way of saying thanks to John Polstra (who ported
that behemoth Modula-3 to FreeBSD as well as wrote cvsup). :)

 * Well, I built cvsup before I knew there was a cvsup-bin.  Once I found
 * cvsup-bin, I promptly pkg_delete'd Modula-3 and cvsup and then "upgraded"
 * to cvsup-bin.
 *
 * Now, there is a bit of a residue left by Modula-3.  It's purely a matter of
 * cosmetics, but I'd like it fixed all the same.  How do I remove the annoying
 * "Initializing local modules: Modula-3" text that is shown every time I
 * (re)boot?

You had to pkg_delete "modula-3-lib-3.6" too.  I bet there are some
files in /usr/local/lib/m3 that didn't go away when you pkg_delete'd
"modula-3-3.6".

If the message still doesn't go away, delete the file "50.m3.sh" (it
might be called just "m3.sh") in /usr/local/etc/rc.d.  (You shouldn't
have to do this, but some versions of the port may not have been very
tidy about all the files.)

Satoshi