Date:      Tue, 29 Oct 1996 21:35:16 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        "Michael A. Urban" <mds@usa.nai.net>
Cc:        Questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Booting from Hard Disk!

On Tue, 29 Oct 1996, Michael A. Urban wrote:

> I have an HP Vectra VL4 Tower with an Adaptec 1542 Host Adapter and a DEC
> 1GB SCSI HD along with a 4x Toshiba SCSI CDROM.  Diagnostics show the host
> adapter and HD to be fine.  I am actually able to complete the installation
> without any snags.  The entire drive is being used for FreeBSD and I've
> tried new installations with and without the Boot Manager.  The problem I
> get on boot is "No Operating System Found".  The partition is set to active
> and bootable.

Try setting another partition active on the first disk.  This will
sometimes barf if you also have IDE enabled; then you will need to start
using a boot floppy and typing

sd(0,a)/kernel

at the Boot: prompt.

> I took the SCSI HD out of the system and put IDE in.  Get through the
> entire install with no errors.  The BIOS is not set to protect the boot
> track.  On boot I get "Read Error".  If I put the bootdisk in and type
> sd(0,a)kernel at the boot: the system boots up fine off the IDE drive.

No, wrong.  sd is the SCSI disk, wd is the IDE disk.

> If I do the same thing off the SCSI Drive (with IDE disabled in BIOS) I
> get a continously scrolling column up the left side of the screen
> showing the device numbers but not boot up.

Odd.  Sounds like the boot blocks may have gotten screwed up.  You might
try reinstalling.

Does your SCSI controller have a BIOS on it?  I assume the 1542s do....