Date:      Sun, 5 Sep 2004 06:13:10 +0200
From:      Oliver Eikemeier <eikemeier@fillmore-labs.com>
To:        Joe Altman <fj@panix.com>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Failure in portsdd -Uu...

Joe Altman wrote:

> NB: I am assuming a typo in the word descrbe...correct?

Yup, sorry.

>>   cd /usr/ports/print/pips-spr300_310; make describe
>
> I AM ROOT on voip in /usr/ports/print/pips-spr300_310 # cd
> /usr/ports/print/pips-spr300_310; make describe
> [...]

looks ok.

>> and
>>
>>   cd /usr/ports/print/pips-spr300_310; env OSVERSION=' ' make describe
>
> I AM ROOT on voip in /root # cd /usr/ports/print/pips-spr300_310; env
> OSVERSION=' ' make describe
> "/usr/ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk", line 1011: warning: String comparison
> operator should be either == or !=
> "/usr/ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk", line 1011: Malformed conditional
> (${OSVERSION} >= 500036)
                    ^^^^^^
> "/usr/ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk", line 1011: Need an operator
> [...]

looks good too.

> [...] I was assuming some sort of hardware glitch on voip (a
> rather low-end machine) to be the most likely culprit. Given the
> output above, I suppose I was wrong.

No, the output is what I would expect (the line above is an abuse of the
ports system to provoke the error messages), and shows that the version
number is complete. So either the output is garbled some other way, or
you are fighting with an hardware error here.

> None of this is critical to my needs; voip is just fine now. But
> please let me know if I can be of any assistance. I'll help any way I
> can. And let me know if I should trim the Cc: line...

Tell us when this is reproducible. OTOH when you experience random
errors I would suspect the hardware.
-Oliver