Date:      Mon, 14 Aug 2006 14:35:48 -0400
From:      Rod Person <personrp@hotpop.com>
To:        "Sean M." <sigma_zk@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CUPS - Does not function anymore

On Sun, 2006-08-13 at 23:07 -0700, Sean M. wrote:
> The story so far:
> I had cups-1.2.2 and couldn't get KDE to use it with my HP PSC 1400 and
> hplip. I read somewhere that KDE was only reliable with cups 1.1, so I
> downgraded CUPS to the last version before it was switched to 1.2.0.
> That ended up breaking hpiod; so much for that. I had no choice but to
> upgraded cups back to 1.2.2. I also replaced
> /usr/local/lib/kde3/cupsdconf.so with a symlink to
> /usr/local/lib/libkdeinit_cupsdconf.so
>
> Now? Pretty much everything to do with printing is broken. If I go to
> localhost:631, I get the CUPS welcome screen, but all the links load
> for a long time then just stop. I used to at least print with LPD, now
> that's gone:
>
> A print error occurred. Error message received from system:
>
> /usr/local/bin/lpr -P 'PSC_1400' '-#1' '/tmp/kde-sgm/kdeprint_zivvNqlK'
> : execution failed with message:
> /usr/local/bin/lpr: Unsupported format 'application/postscript'!
>
> I could also print with CUPS out of non-KDE apps like Firefox. Now they
> just do nothing.
>
> The printer is connected fine, because I can get its status and scan
> with it from hp-setup. It pretty much looks like CUPS is screwed up,
> and I can't figure out how to fix it. Could someone please help?

This all happened to me when I also upgrade cups. I tried to go back an
reinstall all the cups packages to see what would happen.

Doing this I found that cups-lpr was broken and did not install. I
manually made the sim links to /usr/local/bin/lpr, /usr/local/bin/lpq
and /usr/local/bin/lprm (I believe that was all) as this is what had to
be done in the old days before the cups-lpr port. After doing this I can
now print from non-KDE apps using the lpr command. But krpinter still
did not work with CUPS so I changed it to print with lpd and it now
works.

Rod