Date:      Sun, 21 Jul 2002 22:02:20 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        "Danny" <dannyho@bigpond.net.au>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: strange errors in /var/log/lpd-errs

At 3:17 PM +1000 7/21/02, Danny wrote:
>I have a FreeBSD running samba with a shared printer.
>
>Everytime I want to print something FreeBSD suddenly halts (keyboard
>doesn't work etc) and the OS produces the following error messages in
>/var/log/lpd-errs
>
>  lpd[344]: lpd startup: logging=0
>  lpd[352]: lp: filter 'f' terminated (termsig=41)
>  lpd[352]: lp: job could not be printed (cfA306backup.freebsbsd.org)

This implies your 'if=' filter (which you have as apsfilter) is
terminating due to a signal 41.  This does not make much sense
to me...  I do not see any "signal 41" (or 0x29) in signal.h.

>I am running
>>  uname -a
>FreeBSD backup.freebsbsd.org 4.3-RELEASE FreeBSD 4.3-RELEASE #0: Sat Apr 21
>10:54:49 GMT 2001     jkh@narf.osd.bsdi.com:/usr/src/sys/compile/GENERIC
>i386

Hmm, well, it might help if you were a little more up-to-date, as the
source code that I'm looking at is 4.6-stable.

>The following is my printcap details
>
>lp|Printer1 auto:\
>     :lp=/dev/lpt0:\
>     :if=/usr/local/etc/apsfilter/basedir/bin/apsfilter:\
>     :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
>     :lf=/var/spool/lpd/lp/log:\
>     :af=/var/spool/lpd/lp/acct:\
>     :mx#0:\
>     :sh:

First you would want to figure out which step is causing the problem.
I assume you mean you have a printer connected directly to your
freebsd box, and you are using samba so that Windows PC's can send
print jobs to that printer.

With the above, can you send any print job to /dev/lpt0 ?  (just
"cat" a file onto that device name).  If that works OK, then what
happens if you use 'lpr' on your freebsd box to send a job to that
print queue?