Date:      Thu, 26 Mar 1998 13:51:40 -0500 (EST)
From:      Charles Owens <owensc@enc.edu>
To:        Tom <tom@uniserve.com>
Cc:        Scot Elliott <scot@poptart.org>, Andreas Braukmann <braukmann@tse-online.de>, FreeBSD Stable List <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: MySQL on 2.2.6-STABLE

On Thu, 26 Mar 1998, Tom wrote:

> On Thu, 26 Mar 1998, Charles Owens wrote:
>
> > My build of mysql dies TODAY (2.2.6-STABLE - make world'd 2 hours ago).  I
> > DO have libc_r present, and, as you suggested I first did a make clean.
>
>   "make clean" isn't always effective on the MySQL tree.  I have had "make
> clean" error out on me.  Remove the directory, and then do a configure and
> make.

Hmmm... I wish it was that simple.  Question:  are you not using the mysql
port?  I am.  With the port, doing a 'make clean' from
/usr/ports/database/mysql _always_ results in the "work" subdir, which
contains the mysql tree, getting toasted.

When I then type make again, the tarball is extracted and patched and the
build begins again... and dies with the usual "undefined symbol" error.

If you're building from the stock mysql source with no trouble then my
guess is that the port is messed up such that "configure" somehow isn't
seeing the --with-named-thread-libs=-lc_r flag, even though I've done the
obvious and editted the port Makefile to include this:

CONFIGURE_ARGS= --localstatedir=/var/db/mysql \
                --with-named-thread-libs=-lc_r \   # <---
                --with-MAKE=gmake \
                --without-perl \
                --without-debug \
                --without-readline

Further comments?
---
  Charles N. Owens                               Email:  owensc@enc.edu
                                             http://www.enc.edu/~owensc
  Network & Systems Administrator
  Information Technology Services  "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's
  Eastern Nazarene College         best friend.  Inside of a dog it's
                                   too dark to read." - Groucho Marx