Date:      Thu, 14 Mar 1996 11:11:30 EDT
From:      "Kaleb S. KEITHLEY" <kaleb@x.org>
To:        hackers@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: new malloc/libc...

> Jordan K. Hubbard writes:
> > > I think you misunderstand.  The next release of FreeBSD will be 2.1.5,
> >
> > Really?  News to me!  :-)
> >
> > David and I have been assuming 2.1.1 as the proposed release number
> > ever since the beginning, though 2.1.5 wouldn't particularly phase
> > me I guess.  Hmmmmmm.
>
> It makes more sense to have a .5 release to follow convention, but in
> any case I was attempting to communicate that the next release would be
> different from 2.1.

It was a very strange convention to go from 1.1.0 to 1.1.5, and from
2.0.0 to 2.0.5. Makes me wonder what was in 1.1.[1234] and 2.0.[1234].
and why weren't they released to the public. Almost looks like there
were aborted versions that weren't released, which could cast a certain
amount of FUD over the whole thing.

(And yes, inquiring minds want to know where MS-Windows NT 3.[234] and
Mac System 7.[234]!)

--

Kaleb KEITHLEY