Date:      Sun, 18 Oct 1998 13:16:28 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>
To:        Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mount flags

On Mon, 19 Oct 1998, Peter Wemm wrote:

> Chuck Robey wrote:
> [..]
> > I have a very recently broke thing that was happily using a call to
> > statfs, to tell if it was an NFS filesystem or not.  Last time I had
> > occasion to take a look at this, there were flags of the sort MOUNT_XXX,
> > where the XXX could have been UFS, MFS, NFS, etc.  The application is
> > specifically looking for MOUNT_NFS, and it's just not around anymore,
> > that I can find.
> >
> > I would be happy to find it, but I suspect that the method for detecting
> > an NFS mounted FS has changed, so that the app should no longer use
> > statfs.  That's kind of odd, because this port works on a lot of other
> > systems which seem to do that fine.
>
> What's wrong with the f_fstypename[] field in struct statfs?  It'll
> contain a string "nfs" or "ufs" etc..

I looked in the statfs man page and couldn't see any kind of definition
of what went in that field (so as to use it to choose from).  I took a
quick look at the code, nothing immediately jumps out at me ... for an
external system interface, it's certainly obscurely set up, isn't it?

Do you know where the derivation of the f_fstypename values comes from?
I just can't find it.

> Cheers,
> -Peter

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run Journey2 and picnic (FreeBSD-current)
(301) 220-2114              | and jaunt (NetBSD).