Date:      Sun, 5 Jan 2003 20:10:03 -0800 (PST)
From:      swear@attbi.com (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: docs/46787: compress(1) manpage missing BUGS; other cleanup.

The following reply was made to PR docs/46787; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: swear@attbi.com (Gary W. Swearingen)
To: Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@freebsd.org>
Cc: bug-followup@freebsd.org
Date: 05 Jan 2003 20:06:22 -0800

 Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@freebsd.org> writes:

 > > If a specified filename does not end with ".Z", "compress" will assume
 > > that the filename ends with ".Z".  See BUGS section.
 >
 > Ah, much better!  Now I can reproduce the bug, but it's not compress
 > that is buggy.  It's uncompress, and only if -f option is used:

 It's in the "uncompress" para; it better not be "compress".  I'll fix.

 As for "-f", you answered "overwrite foo? " the wrong way.  A "y"
 will delete the file instead of overwriting it (even if your "foo"
 was an real uncompressable file which CAN be uncompressed with
 "cat foo | uncompress >foo.bar").

 > How about something like this?
 >     +extension exists, and promptly overwrite the existing file.

 it doesn't overwrite it (as it should with uncompressed data); it
 deletes it!

 > So it's two bugs?  Uhm.  These are accidents waiting to happen!!!

 I'm not sure if it's the same bug in two guises, or what.  There's
 like to be other wierdness.  Like with zero-length files, & whatnot.

 > I think I should devote some time to try and find a fix for these,
 > instead of documenting their existence :-(

 I was thinking that a compressed file without ".Z" is quite rare, but I
 hadn't thought of "uncompress -f *" which seems fairly likely and seems
 like it could do some serious damage.  If you'd like I'll write up a
 "bin" PR and we can see if anyone else wants to beat you to it.