Date:      Mon, 03 Jan 2000 16:14:38 -0500 (EST)
From:      Will Andrews <andrews@TECHNOLOGIST.COM>
To:        (Satoshi Asami) <asami@cs.berkeley.edu>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: multi-level categories

On 03-Jan-00 Satoshi Asami wrote:
> One solution is to make all subdirectories of a category the same
> type, i.e., either all subcategories or all ports.  In this case,
> /usr/ports/games will only contain "jokes", "roguelike", "shooting"
> and such, and everything under "jokes" will be individual ports
> (unless we further want to divide it up, of course).  "shooting" could
> have things like "space/xasteroids" "scifi/xbat".  That way users will

Hmm. That might be doable.. BUT it kinda "breaks" with the rest of the ports
tree.

> probably be able to tell what they're looking at (although they might
> be slightly surprised if they blindly type "cd
> /usr/ports/editors/emacs; make install" ;).

/usr/ports/editors/emacs should be linked to /usr/src. ;-)

> The problem with this approach is that we'll have to move a lot of
> stuff every time we decide to split up a category, since we can't just
> create a new subcategory and only move stuff that fits into there --
> everything has to moved to "some" subdirectory.  This will cause a lot
> of "misc" directories in the ports tree, and also make ongoing
> category maintenance a very painful (I think).

Yeah. I'm not sure that this whole directory structure is that intuitive. It
seems natural, but it comes with many inflexibilities, like the inability to
split up into sub-[-sub[-sub[-sub]]]categories.. you get the idea.

> Another solution is to add another rule on naming of categories and
> individual port names.  For instance, if we decide to make all
> categories start with uppercase and all ports with lowercase, the user
> will see "Jokes" and "Shooting" right at the beginning of the
> directory listing (assuming they aren't using some brain-damaged
> software which can only sort case-insensitively).  This will be much
> easier on the normal transition as we can move things piecemeal,
> except that everything will have to be moved mechanically to the
> uppercase categories as the first pass.

Ooh! I like this idea! Distinguishing in this manner seems like a real
solution. I'm speaking mostly from a cosmetic point of view. I really wouldn't
know how hard or easy this would be, though..

--
Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>