Date:      Tue, 25 Mar 1997 21:36:05 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        hasty@rah.star-gate.com (Amancio Hasty)
Cc:        frankd@yoda.fdt.net, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Cool Web page interface to mail + search engine?

> Well, I guess you never heard of a controlled discussion forum
> before . I guess it most be a toooo simple idea. You see there are
> classes of projects in which there is a strong desire to provide
> a control forum . For instance, the current Bt848 video capture
> project in the multimedia mailing is just a *simple* example.
> For those kinds of project oriented processes it is desired to
> have a structured / controlled environment.

The point of this discussion *IS* to discuss a mechanism whereby the
list archives are made useful.

The point of this discussion is *NOT* to discuss a mechanism whereby
the llists themselves can be made more useful.

If you want a controlled discussion forum, then go to moderated
news groups on a private hosting news net and password protect your
servers for even more control.

> If we can provide adequate presentation from enough controlled environments
> then maybe we got a chance at controlling the wild growth in the
> mailing list.

Again, the point is to make the archives useful.  A side effect of
that should be capping the amount of repetition.  I believe it would
be a mistake to attempt to cap growth in participation.

> > read all messages and determine where in the hierarchy each should go. Can
> > we look forward to seeing an alpha version of your code soon?
>
> Nah, I repeat I leave such mundane task to Terry 8)

Heh.

> For the record , I do like Terry. In this case , I do think that he
> can come up with a clever solution to the problem and not just sit on the
> problem.

And to clarify for anyone who might think otherwise: I never take
any of these exchanges personally, even if they're intended that way.

Frank:

Amancio is a good guy (or I wouldn't give out his multimedia list
and email address so much 8-)); I think we had a little confusion
in semantics (what he posted _looke_ "blunt") due to him not being
a native English speaker... it's hard to tell from his writing
because he generally expresses himself better than most natives
in his writing.

Amancio:

Well, what do you think of my suggested soloution? (see other posting).
I doubt JMB will let me hack on the lists (and he probably shouldn't,
I'm a terrible PERL programmer), but the changes are pretty trivial,
except the "delay-archiving for parent arrival" and the reindexing,
which is optional value-added functionality.

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---