Date:      Tue, 4 Nov 1997 16:27:40 -0700 (MST)
From:      Brandon Gillespie <brandon@roguetrader.com>
To:        Tom <tom@sdf.com>
Cc:        James Raynard <fhackers@jraynard.demon.co.uk>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Suggested addition to /etc/security

On Sat, 1 Nov 1997, Tom wrote:

> On Thu, 30 Oct 1997, James Raynard wrote:
>
> > > echo "checking for invalid user or group ids:"
> > >
> > > find / -nouser -nogroup
>
>   How does this check improve security?

It depends upon how your system is setup.  If _ALL_ of the files a user
will ever use are contained within their home directory, then this check
does nothing.  However, many systems (myself included, which is what made
me think of it) don't do this.  I have several projects running on my
server, and people own files througout several different filesystems.  If
I remove a user--these files are still owned by them.  This in itself
isn't a problem, until you consider that the add user programs (those I've
checked, ''pw'' included) default to reusing user ids!  (this should also
be changed--its not like we dont have enough of a range for the general
case).  So if I nix somebody, then a week later add another user which
gets the old guy's uid--he also gets all the files and programs of the old
guy.  While in general this isn't a big security issue, its still a
problem (could be a very BIG problem on some systems).

Consider a server where (for whatever reason) a private file was stored in
a location other than the user's home directory.  Because of the situation
as explained above, another user is then assigned their uid.  They then
have access to these files and YOU are suddenly liable for it (sure, this
scenario isn't bullet proof, but it does demonstrate the concerns).

-Brandon Gillespie