Date:      Fri, 26 Jun 1998 02:48:39 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        jbryant@unix.tfs.net
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: schg flags in the source/object tree... bullsh**!

> what was the compelling idea behind all of the schg flags in /usr/obj?

I never thought of it as a compelling idea so much as a "gee, we can
fix the host interdependency problem by setting DESTDIR to point
elsewhere for the first pass" sort of idea.  Since the install rules
for everything deal with immutability on the targets, things in
/usr/obj become immutable as a consequence.  "Fixing" this would also
probably require more grossness in the installation targets than the
problem warrants.

- Jordan