Date:      Wed, 30 Jun 1999 22:56:43 -0700 (PDT)
From:      dan@math.berkeley.edu (Dan Strick)
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        dan@math.berkeley.edu
Subject:   pccard problems

I am attempting to configure a couple of pccards on a DELL Inspiron 3500
running FreeBSD 3.2-RELEASE.  Neither card works:

1) The first card is some sort of DVD/MPEG-2 decoder card.  It seems
   to be called a "DELL Margi".  Whenever the card is inserted and
   pccardd is running, the entire system hangs so hard that console
   I/O no longer works.  Even ctl-alt-del is ignored.  The power
   button is ignored.  I have to turn the machine off by poking a
   special hidden recessed button on the side with a paper clip.

   I don't expect to find a FreeBSD driver for this card, but I would
   prefer that having it physically installed didn't hang the system.

2) The second card is a "DELL 10/100 LAN+56K Modem CardBus by 3Com".
   A label on the back of the card says "Model 3CCFEM656".

   The command "pccardc dumpcis" reports:

	Configuration data for card in slot 1
	Tuple #1, code = 0xff (Terminator), length = 0

   I assume that pccardd cannot recognize and configure cards without
   configuration data.  Is this card broken in some sense?  Can anyone
   recommend a driver?

Thanks,
	Dan Strick
	dan@math.berkeley.edu