Date:      Fri, 07 Dec 2007 11:57:48 +1300
From:      Mark Kirkwood <markir@paradise.net.nz>
To:        freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Gnome 2.20 upgrade niggles

3 days ago I upgraded Gnome from 2.18.3 to 2.20.1 (as part of a
'portupgrade -a'). The actual upgrade went very well, but there are a
few niggles that I thought I'd report on:

1/ Ugly fonts

When logging on with users who have pre-existing (say from 2.18 or
earlier) Gnome configurations - there is a noticeable change to how
fonts look. I believe its due to the change from bitmap to anti-aliased
fonts. Initially I worked around this by changing DPI from 99->96 in the
font details section.

2/ Hang during session startup

I get intermittent hangs during login - usually
'bonobo-activation-server' spinning on 99% cpu.. The I *think* this was
due to 2.20 not liking something in the pre-existing Gnome config for
the users concerned - as I found destroying all .gcon*, .gnom* .font*
etc directories and setting up the Gnome configuration again seems to
have cured it. I found after this that the fonts look ok without any
modifications now...

3/ Gdm respawns at shutdown

Shutting down the system from the Greeter restults in gdm respawing
itself just before the system is powered off. This seems to be a known
issue (e.g https://bugs.launchpad.net/suse/+source/gdm/+bug/126797)
There is a workaround patch for this
(https://bugzilla.novell.com/attachment.cgi?id=174000) - which didn't
really help for me (maybe I need it to sleep for more than 20s...)

Cheers

Mark