Date:      Wed, 8 Oct 1997 05:50:35 -0700 (PDT)
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        aflundi@lundin.abq.nm.us
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: group assignments from make world.

 * I agree with Satoshi, except that it could, of
 * course, be extended beyond the bonds of /etc
 * (/usr/include, for instance, or "what /usr/sbin/config").

Actually, everything outside /etc is updated automatically (that was
the purpose of the "world" target).  And config is needed only for
kernel build, which is not part of "world" anyway.

 * If the first thing that "make world" does is run a
 * (or a series of) pre-world test script(s), then
 * people will know right away if it'll bomb for
 * the things that can be tested for.  Perhaps the
 * script even could put out a message to shame people
 * into reading the appropriate doc (saving Jordan
 * from preforming the evil deed).  For example:

Yes.  Note that we need a little intelligence on exactly when to do
this testing, as the user may be doing a "buildworld" on one machine
with the intention todo "installworld" on another later.  But we can't
just put it at the beginning of "installworld" if we want to be
helpful because it will be the same old "I typed make world and went
to sleep, I woke up and the stupid !$(*!^%$!( make world died in the
middle" story.

Something like:

===
world: