Date:      Thu, 14 Dec 1995 16:12:31 -0800
From:      "Binh Do" <binhdo@cs.ubc.ca>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Newbie's questions: boot, xvidtune

Hello dear friends. I am just about into FreeBSD and after installing 2.1 I am
setting up everything. I have a couple of questions:

1/ As I have PS/2 mouse I had to recompile kernel to use Xwindows. Now
sometimes when I boot the machine everything is OK until 'login:' and I cannot
type in anything so have to reboot and the 2nd time is always OK. Do you know
why? I am using 486 DX-2 66 Gateway and  my keyboard is 102 MS standard (at
least it is said from Win95 on my machine)

2/ When I start X by startx > & startx.log I saw 'this is version 2.05' in the
log file? Why is that?

3/ When in Xwindows I ran 'xvidtune' it said that the program can damage the
video permanently, so I was quite cautious and just use 'wider' to adjust my
video and then apply and luckily got no damage. Which parameter can cause the
video to be damaged (want to know so I do not touch it) and does somebody know
how to make all changes applied to the next session, as when I reboot into
FreeBSD then I have to do all again.

Thank you for your help.

--

Binh Do