Date:      Tue, 6 May 2008 13:05:06 -0400 (EDT)
From:      doug@safeport.com
To:        Mario Vazquez <mario_vazq@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Question about a recent installation

>> On Mon, 5 May 2008, Mario Vazquez wrote:
>>

>>> I have been using different Linux distributions for some years, and decided to
>>> give FreeBSD a try.  The install was successful, but have a question about how
>>> the root account is made.  Found that the root folder was created with the
>>> user/group privileges root:wheel.  Is not that a kind of security risk?  I
>>> know that usually only the account used by the administrator is the one, in
>>> addition to root, that belongs to the wheel group.  But also I know that
>>> sometimes admins get lazy and give for limited time extra privileges just to
>>> allow someone to do something, and that's where the danger can come.  Btw,
>>> that's just my opinion.
>>
>> To give limited priviledges I think sudo (as in linux??) would be used.
>> If that does not provide enough security then kerberos could be used.
>>
>> In general I don't see how you main concern is unique to FreeBSD.
>>
>> DougD

> Make Windows Vista more reliable and secure with Windows Vista Service Pack 1.
> http://www.windowsvista.com/SP1?WT.mc_id=hotmailvistasp1banner
>
> yeah, sudo is.  I don't have any issue in terms of functionality.  But the
> doubt I have is if having the root folder created with ownership root:wheel
> can become a security issue or not.  Also would like to know if there is no
> problem changing my root folder ownership to root:root (which will require a
> root group btw).

Please do not top post.

There is no reason for a root group. I think best practice is to have each admin
keep their data in their accounts which are either allocated as name:wheel or
they are defined as being in the wheel group. I do not know if sudo requires
wheel membership.

I do not understand the need for a root group. I think security liabilities from
having a wheel group have long been worked out. What do you see as a problem? Is
BSD different from linux in this regard? perhaps the latter question is an
off-list topic.

_____
Douglas Denault
http://www.safeport.com