Date:      Fri, 14 Jul 2006 00:17:52 -0500
From:      Brandon Cash <brandoncash@gmail.com>
To:        Karl Denninger <karl@denninger.net>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Question re: batch conversion of m4a files....

Well, I don't know of anything that does specifically that, but there is
audio/faad and audio/lame.  The purpose of faad is to read in various
formats, and it can output wav.  Likewise, LAME can read in wav and
output mp3.

With this in mind, you can have faad write to stdout, and have LAME read
from stdin:
faad -o - in.m4a | lame -h -b 128 - out.mp3

If you wanted to put that in a script, you could just have it `sed' out
the 'm4a' in favor of 'mp3' in the file name.

Another option would be to use multimedia/mplayer, but I'm not sure of
the syntax for that.

Hope I could help,
-- Brandon Cash