Date:      Tue, 29 Oct 1996 21:43:32 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Jason Bennett <jason@r33h77.res.gatech.edu>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CVSuo

On Tue, 29 Oct 1996, Jason Bennett wrote:

> After the nice response to my last question, let me try again. :-)
>
> 	I just (tried) to run CVSup in X. I used a sup file I
> retreived from cvs.freebsd.org (I believe) that gets the src and
> ports. Unfortunately, after 175 megs of stuff, /usr filled up.

Yup.  if you are hauling the *entire* FreeBSD tree you need *major* space.
You are grabbing the entire CVS repository from Long Ago and it is HUGE.

> 	A few questions: I trust CVS updates the main files, but it also
> seems to keep a complete backup. Which ones do I use?

It keeps all previous revisions to all files in the source tree.

I'm not a whiz at CVSup though so I could be completely wrong :)

> 	Is there an (X?) program that will show disk usage so I can
> clean some things out?

xdu, the X counterpart to the du program.

> 	Once I get the source (which I'm not sure is current or
> stable), is make world the best way to apply updates?

Perhaps.  If you are tracking -current you should subscribe to the
freebsd-current mailing list for the latest updates.