Date:      Wed, 25 Jul 2001 16:17:05 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@starjuice.net>
To:        David Malone <dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Why install -C include files?

On Wed, 25 Jul 2001 15:06:22 +0100, David Malone wrote:

> If you changed the date on header files which hadn't changed then
> next time you typed make on a project with carfully set up dependencies
> everything would end up getting recompiled.

That's certainly something one could argue as a problem worth working
around.

In that case, I'd really like to make this behaviour in the build
optional so that it's easy for FreeBSD developers to easily identify
stale includes.

Perhaps I could replace all instances of the -C option to install(8)
with ${INSTALLCOPY} and have INSTALLCOPY default to -C?

Ciao,
Sheldon.