Date:      Sun, 9 Jun 2002 17:43:49 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-sparc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: disklabel -e fault (2nd, sorry)

Emanuel Haupt <haupt@into.ch> wrote:
 > [...]
 > sectors/cylinder: 16065
 > [...]
 > #        size   offset    fstype   [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
 >   a:     400M        0    4.2BSD     1024  8192 16
 >   b:       1G        *      swap
 >   c:        *        0    unused
 >   e:       2G        *    4.2BSD
 >   f:       2G        *    4.2BSD
 >   g:        *        *    4.2BSD
 >
 > unfortunately i got the following errors after :wq! :
 > partition b: does not start on a cylinder boundary!
 > partition c: does not start on a cylinder boundary!
 > partition e: does not start on a cylinder boundary!
 > partition f: does not start on a cylinder boundary!
 > partition g: does not start on a cylinder boundary!
 >
 > i even tried lowercase m and g, but i had the same errors.
 > can you tell me what i am doing wrong?

As the instructions clearly say, the partions have to start
on cylinder boundaries, in order for the PROM to be able to
boot.

On your disk, a cylinder is 16065 sectors (that's 8032.5
Kbytes), and your partition sizes are not a multiple of
that, so it can't work that way.  Basically, you can't use
"M", "G", "%" or "*" for the size column (except maybe for
the last partition, but I haven't tried that).  Although
you can (and should) use "*" for the offset column.

In your case, I'd suggest the following:

#        size   offset    fstype   [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
  a:   819315        0    4.2BSD     1024  8192 16
  b:  2104515        *      swap
  c:        *        0    unused
  e:  4176900        *    4.2BSD
  f:  4176900        *    4.2BSD
  g:        *        *    4.2BSD

That will end up to have about the partition sizes you
want.

Regards
   Oliver