From:      "DS" <david@belarus-online.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Logging Chat rooms, nohup doesn't work?

Greetings freebsd'ers

First thanks to everyone who have put out this soft, I love it and have been
tinkering with FBSD since 1994

I have a chat roon and would like to log everything that goes on in it.  I
tried the standard IRC client and simply redirected it. It worked, but this
is running on a server and I don't want to stay online.

I tried
% nohup irc -c#myroom mynick thechatserver >>myroom.log

But it when I suspend the task and try to run it in the back ground I get
ioctl errors and it stops logging.

Is there some other way?  Is there another way I can log what's going on in
my chat room without staying online? I am not one to ask a question without
trying everything I know, and this is perhaps the second question I have
asked in 3 years.  I am thinking I am not the first person who has wanted to
do this, perhaps there is a perl script somewhere??

I'm not on the list so if you have an answer please write me directly.

I have set up a website/shopping using freebsd apache and mysql, I might be
able to help someone if they have some questions that I can answer
http://www.ryerose.net

Thanks for you time
David Stickney