Date:      Wed, 13 Sep 2000 04:00:05 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Mark Blackman <mark.blackman@dircon.net>
To:        freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: advocacy/21238: poor performance; missed opportunities

The following reply was made to PR advocacy/21238; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Mark Blackman <mark.blackman@dircon.net>
To: stan@craigslist.org
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 11:51:17 +0100

 The problem seen seems like it might be related to a point raised by Richard
 Wendland (of Netcraft) on the freebsd-current mailing list on March 22, 2000.
 (http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=575728+585714+/usr/local/www/db/text/2000/freebsd-current/20000326.freebsd-current)

 It boiled down to the async vs. sync nature of the default file system
 mounting.  These DB files tend to have lots of random I/O and "This issue
 appears to be related to the traditional BSD behaviour of immediately
 scheduling full disc block writes" according to Richard.

 Set your FreeBSD file-system to async and see what that does for your
 performance.  Linux systems (dangerously) mount by default async. FreeBSD does
 not take such risks with filesystems content.  Alternately, set your
 Linux filesystem to synchronous and see what happens to your Linux
 performance.

 Finally, a more helpful procedure might have been
 a) post to freebsd-questions.
   "why is there such a performance differrence between FreeBSD and Linux
    for application X?"
 b) failing that, freebsd-advocacy and/or freebsd-hackers.

 I'm not sure this is the same problem but its a good starting
 point.  Didn't you ask your consultant why there was such a difference?

 - Mark