Date:      Sun, 21 Mar 1999 09:54:53 -0600
From:      Ed Terry <edterry@computer.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   FreeBSD Mail server

I'm looking for information regarding FreeBSD mail server configuration
options.

Specifically, I'm trying to investigate the cause of failed email
transmissions.

Our network domain is NT4.0 based with a FreeBSD box acting as the mail server.

Any attempt to send email while logged into the NT domain, whether by
direct network connection or remote dialup connection, will fail if the
email "FROM" field contains a non-domain user id.

Eudora  reports the following error message:

"Can't send to 'anyuser@any.com'. The server gives this reason: '571
<anyuser@any.com> ... Sorry, we do not relay'. "

Our system administrator has been unable and/or unwilling to find the
configuration parameters that control this blocking of non-domain based
return addresses.

The mail server does not block the "checking for" and "retrieving of" email
on other non-domain based, ISP email accounts.

Any insight into mail server configuration settings that could cause this
message blocking would be greatly appreciated.

I do not have access to a FreeBSD system where  I can search MAN pages for
this info.

Regards,

Ed Terry
Ed Terry