Date:      Fri, 27 Apr 2007 11:57:26 -0500
From:      Paul Schmehl <pauls@utdallas.edu>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: certificate issuing for mail list users

--==========BCE55AE8EB8F51CFB858==========

--On Friday, April 27, 2007 09:52:44 -0700 David Southwell=20
<david@vizion2000.net> wrote:

> I think I may not have been clear on this posting because you seem to be
> misunderstanding my question. I have been very appreciative of the
>
> I now moving on from that point and want to know if someone has built a
> web  interface that enables people to request certificates and supply
> them so as  to integrate certificate issuing into the total problem
> solution.

Yes.  Verisign has.  It sucks, although for the purpose for which you=20
intend to use it, it would suck less.

I'm assuming you want to issue a single cert to each user, not separate=20
signing and encryption certs?

Verisign has two ways that you can do that.

You can use their servers, which requires that the administrators intervene =

with each request for a cert.  This is not burdensome if you're only going=20
to be issuing a few dozen certs.  If you're going to be issuing hundreds,=20
you want to avoid this system.

You can install your own, locally-hosted, certificate system.  So long as=20
all you're doing is issuing certs, and you're not trying to intergrate with =

Exchange, that system works fine.  The Exchange integration is extremely=20
fragile and breaks in interesting ways that are difficult to troubleshoot.

There may be other competitors now, but I am not aware of them.

--=20
Paul Schmehl (pauls@utdallas.edu)
Senior Information Security Analyst
The University of Texas at Dallas