Date:      Wed, 28 Jun 2000 18:41:03 -0700
From:      "Dolgan" <dolgan2k@home.com>
To:        <stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Gnome compliance and speed?

    I don't know if this is the right place for this, and I'm still rather
inexperienced, but:

First, here's my setup:
FreeBSD 4.0-STABLE (6/27/00)
AMD K6-2 400, 128MB of ram (just providing this for proof that it's not my
hardware)
Gnome 1.2.1
Sawfish 0.28.1
XFree86 3.3.6 - also tried with X 4.0
The gtk and all that that I got when I did a 'make install' in
/usr/ports/x11/gnome

Gnome runs extremely slower than it should (I've been using Gnome 1.2 and
the pre-releases of it for a LONG time in Linux with nada for problems until
I got FBSD),
and when I boot into it with a Deskguide applet open, it says that I don't
have a gnome-compliant Window Manager, even though sawfish has pretty much
always been gnome-compliant (if not really always).

I tried the default installation. I tried a clean install to see if I did
something wrong the first time. I copied my .gnome directories from my Linux
installation of Debian 2.3 that's on the *same system* which runs better
than fine, and stil the same thing.

It does it with root, as well as user.

Any ideas? Let me know if you need more info.
I am inexperienced, and very stumped. I've tried searching Google and many
other places to no avail. Help greatly appreciated.

-Dolgan