Date:      Wed, 01 Aug 2001 23:31:41 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Joseph Gleason <clash@tasam.com>
Cc:        Alex Zepeda <jazepeda@pacbell.net>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Finding filesizes in C++ for files greater than 4gb

Joseph Gleason wrote:
> Alright, I made a mistake.  But I did read the man page.  Where does it say
> off_t is 64bits?

The same place it says char is 8 bits, short is 16 bits, and int
and long are 32 bits: in your assumptions.

It might be useful (for some definitions of "useful") to have a
man page which tells you the size of these things, but FreeBSD
runs on architectures where these are different, so you would
not be able to have one man page that does it.

The correct thing to do is to use off_t when speaking of file
lengths/offsets, and then let the machine support what it can
support.

If you simply "must" know, there's always "sizeof(off_t)".

-- Terry