Date:      Mon, 01 Jun 1998 16:11:16 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        Robert Watson <robert+freebsd@cyrus.watson.org>, Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>, "J.A. Terranson" <sysadmin@mfn.org>, "freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: MD5 v. DES?

> In message <Pine.BSF.3.96.980601154152.4784E-100000@fledge.watson.org>, Robert
> Watson writes:
>
> >> I have been considering if we shouldn't introduce a
> >>
> >> 	int checkuserpassword(char *user, char *password);
> >>
> >> in some library, rather than having all these programs know that
> >> you should strcmp after calling crypt().  This would allow us to
> >> do what you propose or RADIUS authentication for that matter...
> >
> >I personally dislike this idea -- where does this leave one-time-password
> >users, etc?
>
> Perfectly safe as always.  All it does is to make sure that you don't have
> to modify, ftpd, telnetd, login, popper, and uhm... what is the last one,
> I keep forgetting, Hmm.....

Actually, it sucks.  See PAM and the XSSO stuff for some better
directions, but basically it still loses.

The principal difficulty is that many more sophisticated password
schemes are challenge-response based, eg. s/key, SecurID, etc.  There's
no easy way for the authenticator to backchat with the user, which is
often required (but not always possible, eg. POP3).