Date:      Fri, 27 Oct 2000 14:20:30 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Fred Clift <fclift@verio.net>
To:        Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Really odd "BTX halted" problem booting FreeBSD on VALinux h

So let me see if I get this -- the recommended way to install is to have
fdisk slices, and inside (one of) those slices have FreeBSD
lables.  However, right now, other than using the program posted in this
thread, getting creative with dd is the only way to set up lables
like that in an automated way.  The only other choice it would seem is to
use sysinstall interactively?  disklabel -e claims it supports 'leaving
the fdisk partition alone' while labling -- would that work? This is
interactive too, however.

The 'fake' fdisk table that gets put on for dangerously dedicated mode (ie
the one inside boot0) has a fake 25 meg partition in it.  Wouldn't the
problem be solved if we jut put valid info in this 'fake' partition table
making this a both 'dedicated' and non-bios confusing 'normal' install at
the same time?

I have a bunch boxes based on the L440GX+ intel motherboard that get
confused by 'dangerously dedicated' labels.  If you want real fun, dd
boo0 from 3.4  onto the first block of any hard disk in your system and
you will be unable to boot _any_ device in your system as the bios gets a
wedgie somewhere before the bootloader gets invoked.  PXE or other network
boot still works and from there you can 'fix' the disk, or you can just
yank it from the box too.

At any rate, I've found a workaround in that if I put in valid partition
info into the boot0 bootblock, the wedgie problem goes away.

Am I confused about something?  Perhaps I'm mistaken about how things work
-- if so, enlighten me, please.

--
Fred Clift - fclift@verio.net -- Remember: If brute
force doesn't work, you're just not using enough.