Date:      Sat, 17 Feb 2001 21:20:53 -0600
From:      "Jacques A. Vidrine" <n@nectar.com>
To:        Maximus <moebius@bitstream.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [moebius@bitstream.net: 4.1.1-release ldconfig issue]

On Sat, Feb 17, 2001 at 12:41:25PM -0600, Maximus wrote:
> Wonderful...partly.  This worked to get the lib in ldconfig, but then
> I noticed that it still couldn't find the lib.

Well, as I said, the hints are not used for linking at all.

> Trussing 'ld -liconv' revealed that it was only looking in /usr/lib.
> I have a LD_LIBRARY_PATH, and even went so far as to create a LD_FLAGS
> var.  Neither of these things made ld even glance beyond /usr/lib.

LD_LIBRARY_PATH is not used at link time, only at run time.  If you
want additional paths to be searched for libraries, use the -L flag.

You may want to read `info -f gcc' and/or `info -f ld' if you have
further trouble.

Cheers,
--
Jacques Vidrine / n@nectar.com / jvidrine@verio.net / nectar@FreeBSD.org