Date:      Mon, 25 Nov 2002 20:54:15 -0800
From:      Fred Condo <fred@condo.chico.ca.us>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   ISA probe failure (ed0)

I have a system whose ethernet card is at ISA irq 9, port 0x280, iomem=20=

0xd8000. FreeBSD 4.7-R correctly  detects and uses this card with those=20=

settings; FreeBSD 5.0-DP2 does not. Please forgive my newbosity; this=20
is the first time I have installed -CURRENT on anything (except as a=20
stunt). However, a search of the archives did not turn up anything that=20=

seemed relevant.

Under verbose booting, the kernel says:
ed0 failed to probe at port 0x280-0x29f iomem 0xd8000 irq 9 on isa0

I have changed /boot/device.hints to reflect the change from irq 11 to=20=

9. This hardware has always been a little weird, I guess because it is=20=

an HP Pavilion of about 1998 vintage. This is my "thrasher" machine for=20=

testing weird configurations on, so I'm not at all astonished that it=20
doesn't work right.

Anyway, any hints from those far more clued than I in the ways of 5.0,=20=

will of course be greatly appreciated. If need be, I can swap cards=20
with another junker machine, but I suspect it is an ed(4) card, as well=20=

(I would have to pull that machine out of the junk closet and open it=20
up to be sure :).

--=20
Life is short, the art long, opportunity fleeting, experiment=20
treacherous, judgment difficult.
   -- Hippocrates (c. 460=96370 B.C.E.), Greek physician=