Date:      Tue, 03 Mar 1998 19:01:49 +0000
From:      freebsd@isvara.net
To:        FreeBSD Current <current@FreeBSD.ORG>, FreeBSD Hackers <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: 3.0-RELEASE?

John Soward wrote:

> We have a large investment in FreeBSD here at UK. Currently our primary campus
> web server uses it (~1000 users), and our news server...and in a few weeks our 3
> 2,000 user pop mail system will be FreeBSD based.

Similar situation here. Our universities use FreeBSD and Novell OSs for the servers.
The admin people have identified that FreeBSD is far more stable and faster than
Linux generally. There are close to 100K students in Manchester AFAIK, putting a
large loading on the services offered.

There are three main mail gateways (smarthosts), and all operate well.
The local university networks comprise of four 100Mb FDDI rings (one per university)
feeding into the 155Mb ATM Manchester backbone which connects to the Manchester
Network Access Point (MaNAP) and two other core switching nodes for the academic
community, via 155Mb ATM links. There are three DNS servers (all running FreeBSD),
and are under very heavy load; All continously work perfectly.

FreeBSD is well known for it's stability and performance operating as a server, and
Manchester Computing uses it extensively.   8-)

Well done FreeBSD team.

Dan