Date:      Thu, 6 Feb 1997 14:48:11 +1100
From:      davidn@labs.usn.blaze.net.au (David Nugent)
To:        terry@lambert.org (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: getty patches

Terry Lambert writes:
> > > Right.  I guess I was really asking "why does a modem need to be
> > > initialized again if it was already initialized?  Does initialization
> > > (somehow) 'wear off'?".
> >
> > Yup, a regular problem on some models.  (Not one I've seen for a
> > while, I admit, but I am very choosy about the modems I buy.)
>
> UGH.  It makes me want to complain that X doesn't support my CGA card.

Not even in the same ball park, Terry.

Take up residence in a country with a different grade of PTT
system, or has government controls and an expensive approval
process on what can be attached to a PTT's analog lines, and
then have to live with the only available (usually locally
manufactured) sometimes broken modems, and you'll soon find
how just how limited the choice is.

Fortunately, that situation is largely reduced in Australia,
but there is still a maximum AU$12,000 penality for attaching
non-approved equipment onto Australian Telecom lines. But two
things have changed over recent years: the approval process
has been relaxed, and modems manufactured in the US and
elsewhere are now meeting international standards rather than
simply being built for FCC approval and require little or no
modification to meet the Australian PTT standards.

Even so, in the fight to stay on top in the "fastest" analog
communications technology, Rockwell and USR have often released
buggy versions of their chips, and that covers over 90% of
the modem market. Yes, there is something you can do about that
if the modem firmware is easy to upgrade (it often isn't),
but my point is that this isn't obsolete technology we're
really discussing here - quite often it is bleeding edge.

Regards,

David Nugent - Unique Computing Pty Ltd - Melbourne, Australia
Voice +61-3-9791-9547  Data/BBS +61-3-9792-3507  3:632/348@fidonet
davidn@freebsd.org davidn@blaze.net.au http://www.blaze.net.au/~davidn/