Date:      Thu, 29 Jan 2009 10:07:40 -0600
From:      Karl Denninger <karl@denninger.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Intel Mobo MARVEL RAID adapters and amd64 FreeBSD on QuadCore and i7 series Processors

--------------040403000404040704040808

These show up under Windows XP as if they are SCSI adapters (they're
not, obviously.)

Has there been any view towards supporting these on FreeBSD?  They're on
all the recent Intel motherboards for the last year and a half or so.

Also, is there any particular benefit (or penalty) to running the amd64
build on Quad-Core or i7-series processors?  I have an app that might
benefit from access to more than 4GB of physical RAM as the working
dataset grows but am hesitant to run the 64bit version on that processor
(which I understand isn't REALLY a 64-bit chip) if I'm going to run into
a penalty for doing so in terms of generalized performance.

Karl Denninger
karl@denninger.net

--------------040403000404040704040808--