Date:      Sat, 16 Dec 1995 12:28:48 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        alan@trickler.uu.silcom.com (Alan D. Trombla)
Cc:        wes@intele.net, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Upgrade - CPU, clock?

Alan D. Trombla stands accused of saying:
> Am I correct in assuming that a DX4/120 has (external) bus speed of 33MHz?

No, it's a 40MHz part.

> My manual (probably written pre-DX4) has 3 sets of jumper settings for:
>     1.  486DX/DX2
>     2.  486SX
>     3.  487SX/Overdrive
> Although there is no listing for DX4 CPUs, wouldn't a DX4/120 be (from
> the motherboards point of view) the same as a DX2/66 ?

No.  You have a 5v-only motherboard.  The fastest CPU you can use is the
Intel DX4-100 with onboard 3v regulator.

> >Beware that FreeBSD has problems with *some* Cyrix and AMC cpus.
>
> Can anyone give me a list?

No; it depends on the masks used for the parts, and this information is not
easily obtained.  For your purposes, the above part _does_ work.

> The motherboard supports 486DX50 (manual: "To change the CPU speed you
> must change the oscillator", meaning cahnge the crystal?).  So it
> should support a 486DX2/100 (at 50Hz)?  Is there such a thing?

No.  The fastest 5v CPU available, AFAIK, is the part mentioned above.

> Alan D. Trombla--------------------------------------alan@iplab.ece.ucsb.edu

]] High-speed data acquisition and      (GSM mobile) 041-122-496        [[
]] "Who does BSD?" "We do Chucky, we do."                               [[