Date:      Wed, 6 Mar 1996 17:08:50 -0600 (CST)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        rminnich@Sarnoff.COM (Ron G. Minnich)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Linux vs FreeBSD comparison - it's time, I think!

> I have a weakness in that I like real numbers. Can we quantify this?
>
> ron

> > 	*LARGE* numbers of FTP users

1250 (wcarchive.cdrom.com)

> > 	*HUGE* routing tables

one of my poor little 8MB border routers got 14K routes installed before
crying:

mycogen# netstat -rn | wc
   14154   84909  976437
mycogen# vmstat -m
Memory statistics by type                          Type  Kern
        Type  InUse MemUse HighUse  Limit Requests Limit Limit Size(s)
     routetbl 28370  3989K   3989K  3989K    43954    0     0  16,32,64,128,256

I expect that adding more memory (i.e. raising "Limit") would have allowed
me to merrily add a couple zillion more routes, or at least enough to do
real world stuff  :-)

> > 	*INSANE* HTTP performance

dunno.

... Joe

Solaria Public Access UNIX - Milwaukee, WI			   414/546-7968