Date:      Mon, 24 Jan 2011 02:50:13 GMT
From:      George Michaelson <ggm@apnic.net>
To:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: kern/154134: [ip6] stuck kernel state in LISTEN on ipv6 daemon which has been killed

The following reply was made to PR kern/154134; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: George Michaelson <ggm@apnic.net>
To: bug-followup@FreeBSD.org
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2011 12:44:07 +1000

 On 24/01/2011, at 8:03 AM, Bjoern A. Zeeb wrote:

 > Him
 >=20
 > unfortunately you didn't give any of the output;  I guess you lost it
 > with the reboot and don't have a scrollback?

 right. sad.

 >=20
 > I am not exactly sure about the details that happened:
 >=20
 > 1) you ran rsync standalon in daemon mode

 yes.

 > 2) you tried to connect by IPv6 which failed?  - How?

 SYN, but no reply. client then falls back to nd and thats bizarre, but =
 what happened.

 multiple times btw.

 > 3) killed rsync

 yes.

 > 4) what exact state was netstat showing?  Was rsync really all gone?

 tcp6       0      0 *.873                  *.*                    LISTEN

 not in a FIN_WAIT_2 or TIMEOUT or anything.

 pstree showed no process in zombie.

 > 5) you added what exactly to inetd.conf?

 rsync   stream  tcp6    nowait  root   /usr/local/bin/rsync rsyncd =
 --daemon -6

 Look, My gut feel is that this was a one-off.=20

 If you get other people saying hmm.. some net trash is left active in =
 the kernel in V6 sometimes then this might be useful debug of when it =
 was seen in a kernel, but at this point it cleared across reboot, and I =
 have no further debug I can give. I can't reproduce.

 mark it stalled or close?

 -G=